Three workers injured after truck drives through picket line

Workers sustained minor injuries in incident outside Titan Tool and Die in Windsor

Three workers injured after truck drives through picket line
Workers rally outside Titan Tool and Die in Windsor, Ontario on September 10, 2025

Three workers were injured Monday morning after a transport truck drove through a picket line outside Titan Tool and Die in Windsor, Ontario. The incident, which occurred as a long-running labour dispute continues, has sparked calls for criminal charges and renewed scrutiny of safety protocols at picket lines.

According to Emile Nabbout, president of Unifor Local 195, the workers had been picketing peacefully since August 11, following a lockout by the company. “We have been active in a peaceful labour dispute,” Nabbout said, describing the picket line as orderly until the day of the incident.

On Monday, a transport truck arrived to collect equipment from the facility, accompanied by the sheriff to ensure compliance with a court injunction. Nabbout recounted that at approximately 10:20 a.m., the truck departed, and “the people were standing in a public easement. The transport truck went through the picket line without any attempt to stop, and the people were trying to yell and scream to get the driver's attention.” He alleged the driver showed “complete disregard to the worker and just went through the picket line and ended up brushing the three workers who were standing in the front of the transport truck.”

The three workers suffered minor injuries and were taken to hospital for evaluation. Nabbout says “the problem is not the severity of the injury. It's the willful intent of the transport company and the driver who can go through people standing in the front of their truck.”

Unifor has called for criminal charges to be laid against the driver, the logistics company, and management. “We initiated the call to the police to file a report and asking the police to lay criminal charges,” Nabbout said.

Windsor police responded to the scene and are investigating. According to a statement provided to media, “Windsor police were at Titan Tool and Die for an investigation” and are awaiting the completion of their inquiry.

Titan Tool and Die, through their lawyer, stated they had contacted the sheriff and secured attendance for the day of the incident “so that the terms of the October 1, 2025, Order, of Madam Justice Kalajdzic would be enforced lawfully, efficiently, and safely.” The company did not comment further on the specifics of the incident.

The union alleges Titan failed to properly inform the logistics company of the picket line rules and court injunction, contributing to the dangerous situation. “We believe the company has the obligation to inform the logistic company about the rule and that they need to stop and make sure they adhere to the injunction order from the court,” Nabbout said.

As the investigation continues, Unifor members remain on the picket line, expressing frustration with the lack of immediate action and concern for their safety. “The workers are completely astonished with the justice system we have here in this country,” Nabbout said, adding they are “very disappointed that the authority here in the city of Windsor have not stepped up to the plate and laid the charges immediately against a company and a driver.”

The dispute at Titan Tool and Die highlights ongoing tensions in labour relations and the challenges of maintaining safety during industrial actions. Police continue to investigate the incident.