Man accused of stabbing supervisor walked out of psych facility

Suspect believed he was a prophet, had delusions, auditory hallucinations, intense suicidal thoughts

Man accused of stabbing supervisor walked out of psych facility

A man accused of stabbing his supervisor at work sought help the day before he carried out that attack and murdered his own parents.

Trevor Robert Farley has been charged with attempted murder in connection with a stabbing at Seven Oaks Hospital in Winnipeg on Oct. 27, 2021. He has also been charged with first-degree murder in the death of his mother, Judy Swain, and second-degree murder in the death of his father, Stuart Farley.

The day before the incident, Farley went to the Mental Health Crisis Response Centre in Winnipeg to seek help for mental health issues, and spent the night there, reported CBC, citing recently unsealed court documents.

Farley was reassessed shortly after 9 a.m. on Oct 27, and a decision was made to admit him to be involuntarily assessed by a physician.

There was a completed Form 4, which allows an individual to be taken to a psychiatric facility for an assessment by a psychiatrist when they are either unwilling or unable to consent to a voluntary assessment, reported CBC.

"If staff believe the person is at high risk to leave the CRC and there is a likelihood of them harming themselves or others, they are typically moved to a locked secure room under constant observation, where ongoing staff support is provided," a Shared Health spokesperson told CBC in an email.

"The CRC is not a locked facility, so it is possible for individuals to leave unless in a locked secure room."

An RCMP officer noted, according to a warrant to search the suspect’s home and car, that he read the application for the involuntary assessment, and the doctor who filled out the form wrote Farley had a disorganized thought process, believed he was a prophet, had delusions and auditory hallucinations and had intense suicidal thoughts.

However, the court document alleges around 11:45 in the morning Farley walked out of the facility's front door.

"The crisis worker and the security tried to intervene but he kept walking away towards Arlington Street," the RCMP officer noted.

Two days before Farley walked out of the crisis response unit, his wife told police he was turned away from the facility because it didn't have a bed available. He was told to go to a hospital instead.

However, Farley went to the Health Sciences Centre but left before being seen by a doctor, according to a Winnipeg police officer who applied for a separate warrant to search Farley’s home.

He then went to St. Boniface Hospital, where he was prescribed medication, but a pharmacist later asked for his dose to be lowered, the documents allege.