A dozen workers at Quebec recycling plant hospitalized

Workers were exposed to unknown substance, says report

A dozen workers at Quebec recycling plant hospitalized

A dozen workers at a Granby, Que., recycling facility were taken to hospital on Monday after they inhaled an unknown substance.

The exposure happened at the Sani-Eco facility owned by Enviro Connexions on Monday morning. 

Simon Boutin, director of the firefighting services in the community southeast of Montreal, said the department received a call at 8:23 a.m. for someone who was having difficulty breathing, according to the report.

The condition of the employees who were taken to hospital is improving after experiencing headaches, breathing difficulties and tingling sensations in their throats, said Enviro Connexions, according to CBC. They remained under observation on Monday but were expected to be released.

The substance the workers were exposed to was not carbon dioxide, said Boutin.

"We are in the process of researching to find the cause of the poisoning or the discomfort that was created by some substance that was in the ambient air of the building," said Boutin.  

The building was evacuated and police set up a perimeter. 

The facility resumed operations Monday afternoon, reported CBC.