46-year-old man died during blasting work that regulator says was not planned or executed properly
Investigators from the Public Security department of the MRC des Collines-de-l'Outaouais have apprehended a 30-year-old man from Thurso in connection with a tragic incident that occurred on September 8, 2022, resulting in the death of a 46-year-old heavy machinery operator on Chemin Denis in Cantley, Quebec.
The fatal incident took place during blasting work, and the subsequent months-long police investigation uncovered crucial evidence, leading the Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions (DPCP) to authorize two charges against the individual responsible for the blasting operations.
The tragedy not only prompted a thorough police investigation but also involved the participation of other relevant authorities. Alongside the law enforcement efforts, Quebec’s workplace safety regulator, the CNESST, and the Coroner played integral roles in examining the circumstances surrounding the incident.
The CNESST said last year the explosion was neither properly planned nor carried out, leaving the unnamed victim, who was working in an excavator, within the blast range.
The charges levied against the arrested individual include "Causing death by criminal negligence" and "Duty to take precautions with regard to explosives."
The CNESST's involvement underscores the importance of safety and adherence to regulations in workplaces involving explosives and heavy machinery.