Worker was ran over, pinned underneath vehicle
A tow truck driver is dead after being run over by a vehicle he was unloading at an auto shop in Brampton Friday evening.
Peel Regional Police said they were called shortly after 6:30 p.m. to a business at 277 Advance Boulevard, near Steeles Avenue East and Tomken Road.
Officers and paramedics found the man trapped beneath a vehicle in the shop’s yard, according to CTV News. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Police have not released his name.
Sequence of events under review
Police said the incident occurred while the driver was in the process of unhooking a vehicle from his tow truck during a drop‑off at the auto shop.
“At some point during that process … our victim ended up underneath the vehicle, and the vehicle did run over him,” Peel police Sgt. Taylor Halfyard said, as reported by CTV News.
Investigators have not released further details on the sequence of events or the type of equipment involved.
Parallel investigations by police and Ministry of Labour
Halfyard said Ontario’s Ministry of Labour is leading the workplace investigation, while Peel Regional Police conduct a parallel review.
“Typically, in these types of incidents, Peel Regional Police conduct a parallel investigation, and we investigate if there’s any element of criminality,” he said.
“From what we have gathered so far in our investigation, it doesn’t appear as though there is,” Halfyard added, noting the workplace aspect will be handled by the ministry.
Employer response
In a statement emailed to CP24, the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) confirmed the driver worked for one of its contracted towing service providers and was dropping off a vehicle during a roadside assistance call.
“We are deeply saddened to confirm the loss of the driver of one of our tow service contractors while dropping off a vehicle during a roadside assistance call,” officials wrote.
“Our heartfelt condolences go out to their family, friends, and colleagues during this incredibly difficult time. Local authorities are investigating the circumstances of this tragic event, and we will refrain from further comment as details continue to emerge.”
The Ministry of Labour has not yet released information about any orders issued at the scene or any impact on operations at the auto shop or towing contractor.
No additional details about workplace policies, procedures or training have been made public.
Both investigations remain ongoing, and authorities are working to determine how the incident occurred.