WSIB confirms surplus rebate delayed by strike now fully distributed

Second $2B surplus rebate of 2025 was credited to employer accounts by October 31

WSIB confirms surplus rebate delayed by strike now fully distributed

The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) has confirmed that a $2 billion surplus rebate, originally expected earlier this year, but delayed due to the agency’s labour disruption, has now been fully distributed to eligible Ontario businesses.

The rebate was credited to employer accounts by October 31. It marks the second surplus distribution this year and the third overall in the WSIB’s history.

“For the average business, it works out to about 61 per cent of the premiums they paid in 2024 being returned to them,” the WSIB said in a press release issued November 3.

The rebate was initially expected in June or July, according to prior internal communication. However, WSIB media spokesperson Christine Arnott confirmed that work related to the surplus was paused during the historic six-week strike.

“We paused surplus work during the labour disruption to focus on day-to-day account management support,” Arnott said in response to questions from Canadian Occupational Safety.

The strike by CUPE 1750, which began in May and lasted until July, was the first full-scale strike in the agency’s history. During that time, WSIB prioritized core services such as injury claims processing and employer support, though acknowledged delays in some areas.

Despite the delay, WSIB leadership emphasized the importance of the rebate in supporting Ontario businesses.

“Uncertainty is an enemy of business and Ontario businesses deserve certain relief in these uncertain times,” said Jeff Lang, WSIB President and CEO. “The WSIB is here to help – we’re proud to do it and will always find ways to do more.”

The agency also announced that average premium rates will be reduced again starting January 1, 2026, marking the seventh cut in a decade. In total, WSIB says that premium reductions over the last 10 years have saved employers approximately $21.5 billion.