Accident at Regina International Airport kills construction worker

PCL Construction Management 'deeply saddened' and pledges cooperation

Accident at Regina International Airport kills construction worker
Source: Outlaw Communications

A construction worker lost their life on Friday night in an incident at the Regina International Airport, authorities have confirmed. The incident, described as a "serious accident," took place at approximately 11:30 p.m. on May 26 and is connected to the ongoing 13-31 runway overlay project.

The Regina International Airport released a statement expressing deep regret, stating, "emergency responders attended the scene immediately, but unfortunately the injuries the individual suffered were fatal."

In the early hours of the morning, Regina Police and the Saskatchewan Coroners Service commenced their investigations on the airfield. Additionally, federal occupational health and safety workers are conducting their own investigation.

The airport has informed the family of the deceased worker, while withholding the individual's gender and age from the public as of Saturday afternoon. James Bogusz, president and CEO of the Regina Airport Authority, expressed his condolences, saying, "this is such a sad, tragic situation, and we will be respecting those involved and their families."

PCL Construction Management, the company overseeing the runway project, issued a statement pledging their cooperation in the investigation.

"We are deeply saddened by the unfortunate incident that occurred Friday evening at our airport site," the statement reads. "We are currently involved in gathering further information, so at this time we are unable to provide any details or answer any questions. We are also respecting the privacy of the individual and trade contractor involved and are not providing personal information."

According to the released statement, PCL is in contact with Saskatchewan Occupational Health and Safety and is actively coordinating with the agency regarding the ongoing investigation. Meanwhile, normal runway operations and flights will continue as scheduled.

However, the runway construction will be temporarily halted over the weekend to allow for regrouping. The construction is expected to resume on Monday.

In light of the tragic news, the airport expressed its profound sadness and extended their prayers to the family, friends, co-workers, and community of the deceased worker.

This the second fatal incident at an airport this month. A maintenance worker was killed by a helicopter at the Smithers Airport in British Columbia on May 6th.