Regulator cites repeated, high‑risk safety violation at B.C. smelter
WorkSafeBC has fined Rio Tinto Alcan Inc. $798,867.87 following a combustible dust incident at the company’s Kitimat smelter that regulators have classified as a repeated and high‑risk safety violation.
The penalty, imposed on Nov. 20, 2025, stems from an incident in which a worker was operating an alloy system when a flame from an enclosed manganese hopper generated sufficient pressure to displace a lid onto an adjacent platform, according to WorkSafeBC.
Regulator’s findings
Following its inspection, the regulator determined that the alloy station involved in the incident had not been designed for use with manganese, which is considered a combustible dust. WorkSafeBC issued a stop‑work order at the smelter and concluded that the firm failed to ensure its workplace was planned, constructed, used and maintained in a manner that protected workers from danger.
The violation was designated as both repeated and high risk in the manufacturing sector under the smelter classification unit.
Company response
Rio Tinto declined to comment on the specific circumstances of the incident. However, a spokesperson said the company had acted on the regulator’s findings.
“The health and safety of all employees and contractor workers is our priority at Rio Tinto BC Works,” the spokesperson said. “We have acted immediately and thoroughly to address the concerns highlighted in the WorkSafeBC inspection report and are now compliant with the orders.”
Previous fines at Kitimat smelter
This is the third major safety penalty at Rio Tinto’s Kitimat smelter in less than two years.
In February 2025, Rio Tinto was ordered to pay more than $710,000 following two separate incidents involving subcontracted workers. One worker suffered an electric shock, while another was injured by unguarded machinery. Investigators cited multiple safety failures, including inadequate hazard controls and the absence of proper lockout procedures.
Earlier, in June 2024, WorkSafeBC imposed a $783,000 penalty after a worker was injured when an overhead crane struck an elevated platform during maintenance. The regulator found that no safe work procedures had been established for the task and that the crane had been returned to service before being certified as safe.