Worker killed by vehicle at Oro-Medonte landfill

Flags have been lowered to half-mast at the county’s administration centre in memory of the worker

Worker killed by vehicle at Oro-Medonte landfill

A female worker has died after being struck by a vehicle at the Oro-Medonte landfill in central Ontario.

Emergency crews were called to the landfill on Old Barrie Road on Monday morning following reports that a worker had been hit by a vehicle on site, reported CTV News. The Ministry of Labour said the woman was pronounced dead after the incident.

Paramedics told CTV News that a second person was taken to hospital with injuries described as non-life-threatening.

The Ministry of Labour has opened an investigation into the fatality. The area has been closed to the public while officials examine the scene.

“As the investigation remains ongoing, the ministry is unable to provide further details at this time,” officials said, according to the CTV News report.

In a statement, the County of Simcoe, which operates the facility, offered condolences to those affected.

“Our thoughts are with the family, friends and colleagues affected by this tragic loss,” the county said.

The County of Simcoe said the Oro-Medonte Landfill will remain closed while the investigation continues. Flags have been lowered to half-mast at the county’s administration centre in memory of the worker.